The easiest vegan pesto sauce. Gluten free.
This recipe is so easy. Pesto is one of our favorite sauces to make because we grow so much basil in our garden. Pesto is perfect in lieu of marinara sauce on pasta or on pizza crust. It’s also great on new potatoes in a salad, drizzled on roasted veggies or as a condiment on a sandwich or panini. So versatile and unbelievably easy to make.
If you’re new to cooking… try this recipe out. Seriously. We also use this as a dip for raw veggies. Plus with no dairy, it’s a great summer bbq recipe idea. I can go on and on… but I won’t. Take the recipe amounts as mere guide. I typically do handfuls versus cups. I do want to share this tip before I get into the specific recipe… when using this as a sauce on pasta, reserve some cooking liquid from the noodles. Once you’ve drained the noodles, add the pesto to toss along with 2-3 tbl of the cooking water to thin the sauce out. That’s it folk. Love you, enjoy!
- 1/2 cup of packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups of packed organic spinach leaves
- 3-5 garlic cloves (depending on your preference)
- Optional: 1/2 of a jalapeño (if you like it spicy)
- 1/4 cups of walnut halves or pieces
- About 1/3 cup of olive oil
- Juice from 2 small limes
- Salt to taste
- Pine nuts for topping
- Into your food processor, add your garlic and walnuts (if using the jalapeno add it here too).
- Pulse several times to break down.
- Then add your basil and spinach leaves.
- Pulse several times to blend again.
- Then through the spout, drizzle the olive oil while the machine is running.
- The pesto will come together once you’ve added enough oil to emulsify. You may need a bit more but just eyeball the mixture.
- Once the pesto is creamy, add the juice of the limes and blend.
- Taste and add salt to your preference.
I had to do a quick update on my fitness. I had my 6 month check up with my ortho who did my knee replacement. I’m healing perfectly and he gave me a pass to run 1 day a week up to 4 miles. I’m still unsure how I feel about that but GUYS!!! This is huge.
Okay today I did a brutal 75 m on the stairclimber. That machine was been tamed… finally. I love it. 🙂
— Knead to Cook