Tempeh Hempe Taco Meat. Vegan. GF.
My friends over at Hempe Plant Protein reached out and asked if I wanted to test out their newest product I jumped. Their tempeh has always been a game changer for me. This however was a complete shock… it wasn’t soy based at all yet made from chickpeas and hemp seeds. I was thrilled! Right out of the package it tasted great. Wait, what? I seriously could snack on this raw it was so good.
I was pondering some different avenues to take this wonderful protein source and opted to go the taco route. It turned out great and is perfect on your taco bar or like I did, in my salad as my protein source.
Let’s chat about nutrition before I tackle my recipe…
Hemp is crafted and cultured like traditional soy tempeh.
Excellent source of Omega 3’s.
No gluten or soy.
Good for the environment.
Easy to prepare.
- 1 -3 oz package of Hempe chickpea and hemp
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used olive)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Several dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- Pinch or more of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup of water
- Add the oil to your sauté pan over medium flame.
- Break up your hempe into crumbles.
- Add the crumbles and onions to your sauté pan and stir often to brown nicely.
- Add all of your spices and water.
- Stir to coat and combine well. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Once done, add your crumbles to a bowl for your taco bar or to a container for storage.
This would also be wonderful in chili, on a sandwich (if you cooked in slices v. a crumble) or as a veggie breakfast bowl. It’s seriously so good.
Thank you Hempe Plant Protein for sending me this sample to work with and sponsoring this post. My evaluation and opinons are solely my own as shared in this post. And this product will start hitting grocery stores in January.
— Knead to Cook
Where do you purchase the Hempe at? Thanks, Kim
It will be released in January at Whole Foods I’m told or through the company. I’ll update this post when it goes live for your reference. ox
This looks so flavorful, and the texture looks just like tempeh, I’m going to try it when it comes out. Thanks for being the guinea pig and giving your review. I love your recipes, they help me get better nutrition and eat vegan and gluten-free in a much healthier way.
Jennifer, It’s amazing! I couldn’t stop eating the raw product. Thank you for the lovely compliment. I really do appreciate it. Happy Holidays!