Last week I shared a mushroom cheesesteak but this week I tried another version and this is by far more delectable, meaty in mouthfeel and satiating version. It’s substantial. It’s so freaking good I cannot even share just how good this is! Perfect for football watching, tailgating or just a super easy meal that even a carnivore will devour. This will most certainly be in a weekly rotation.
Jackfruit and mushroom cheesesteak
- 1 tbl avocado or olive oil
- 1 can of jackfruit drained well
- 2 lbs of mushrooms any will suffice. I used baby portobellos sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbl smoked paprika
- 1 tbl ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbl liquid smoke
- 1 tbl liquid aminos or soy sauce
- Salt and pepper at your discretion
- 4 rolls or 2 hoagie rolls sliced
- 1/2 cup of loosely packed vegan cheese freshly grated- I love
Violife smoked cheddar
- Liquid mozzarella from
- Into a cast iron or sauté pan add your choice of oil over medium heat. Add your jackfruit, gently breaking apart in your hands prior to adding to the pan. Cook the jackfruit for 6 minutes or so to cook off the brining liquid remaining. Then carefully add your mushrooms and allow to cook down and the liquid to be released for about 10-12 minutes or so. Stir often. Then add your spices and smoke/soy sauce and s&p. Stir often. The mixture will reduce down tremendously and soften.
- Slice your rolls and set them on a baking sheet cut side up. Grate your cheese. Turn your broiler on. Once the mushrooms are done, carefully load them up on both sides of the rolls. Carefully add your shredded cheese and/or liquid mozzarella on top of each mound of mushrooms/jackfruit. Broil until the cheese is melty and toasted up which occurs quickly so keep a watchful eye.
Use whatever cheese you prefer and the amount that you wish!
Broiling should take only a few minutes but watch carefully.
We topped off with some pickled jalapeños.
Leftover mushroom/jackfruit can be stored in a glass container for up to 5 days.
— Knead to Cook