We hosted a dinner party Saturday night and I made this dish. I’m always trying to show non-plant based friends how good vegetable dishes can be, not only easy, but delicious to incorporate into their lives. This dish was so good and the leftovers were beyond. The flavor, the various textures… it was a home run! Not to mention, I had it yesterday and it was so filling at lunch that I never ate dinner. It would make a great meal prep idea for the weekend so that you can have lunch or dinner ready quickly all week long. My favorite tofu to use is from Wildwood. I always share it because it truly transforms my recipes and is the only one I use.
Vegetable fried rice (vegan & gluten free)
- 3 tbl olive or avocado oil (divided)
- 5 cups vegetables (zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, garlic, shallots, kale, snap peas, carrots, spinach, bok choy, mushrooms, broccoli)
- 1 brick extra firm or super extra firm tofu crumbled into small pieces with a fork
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 tsp black salt (or regular salt if you don't have it)
- 1 tbl smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground turmeric powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups brown rice Best to use leftover or cold rice
- 3-4 tbl liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbl toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch green onions sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tsp per bowl of chili/onion crisp optional garnish
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (toasted or black) optional garnish
- Working in steps you're going to start with making the tofu scramble.Step 1: Place one tablespoon of oil into your pan and add your crumbled tofu with nutritional yeast, black salt, smoked paprika, turmeric and freshly cracked pepper. Over medium heat, keep stirring until the tofu is coated in the spices and is fully cooked through (water is released). This takes 6-7 minutes. Once cooked, spoon the tofu into a bowl.
- Step 2:Working on the vegetables. Add another tablespoon of oil to the same pan you cooked the tofu in. Allow that to heat up over medium heat. Then add your veggies. Start with the longer cooking veggies you have. Onion, garlic, carrots, bell peppers and mushrooms. Cook for about 12 minutes or until softened. Then add your smaller, easier to cook vegs like snap peas finishing off with your greens (kale or spinach). Use the veggies you have and love! After cooked, add your veggies to the bowl with the tofu.
- Step 3:In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil and heat that over medium flame. Add your rice and gently pat it down firmly. Allow the rice to crisp up. Avoid the urge to stir the rice – you want it to brown up and get crispy. This will take several minutes (6-8) and then start checking the edges. If you're seeing crunchy bits, stir a bit and then add your tofu and veggies. Stir to combine. Add your liquid aminos/sesame oil. Toss to coat. Taste test and adjust seasoning. Plate and top with green onions.
— Knead to Cook