Happy Fall? As I sit here typing up this recipe it’s a sweltering 90 degree day. Funny enough, it’s been really hot here since fall arrived. BUT this weekend… THIS weekend the weather cools down. I’ll refrain from jumping up and down until I’m putting on my cozy sweaters and leggings.
To jumpstart my fall feelings, I ran over to my local farm stand & grabbed some apples. I immediately knew I would try this recipe out (adapted from my berry recipe here) . I made a few changes but it was heavenly. The aroma is truthfully all I needed today, alongside cranking my air conditioning up, to be quite honest. Please note my tips below to ensure that the apples cook nicely. Okay, let’s go!
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4-6 medium sized apples, cored but skin left on, chopped up into small, thin chunks
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (use 2 tablespoons if you wish for this to be sweeter)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of rolled oats (gluten free)
- ½ cup of nuts (I used chopped walnuts but almonds, pecans etc. would work)
- ⅓ cup of almond meal
- ¼ cup of gluten free flour or oat flour
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- If using a cast iron skillet, place your coconut oil into your pan and place it in the oven while heating up.
- Meanwhile, prep your apples by coring and slicing.
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add your lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Add your coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Toss to coat.
- Carefully, with hot pads, remove your skillet.
- Add your apples in an even layer.
- To your apple bowl, prepare your topping by adding your oats, nuts, meal, flour, maple syrup and oil.
- Mix to evenly distribute.
- Pour this coating on top of your apples and spread evenly.
- Carefully place the pan back into your oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately.
- You can use a 8x8 baking dish if you prefer. Just add melted coconut oil to your pan first then proceed with adding apple.
I used the same bowl that I tossed the apples/lemon juice in to make the topping.
Serve with your favorite whipped cream or ice cream.
— Knead to Cook