I hate to begin a post with an apology but I have 2! First, I’m sorry I’ve been relatively MIA on posting. Getting back into a working groove, standing for hours post knee replacement has been taking me time. Second, the lighting today, due to an ice storm, isn’t working with me so the pics aren’t my best but hey you’re here for the recipe after all, right?
- 1 cup of nut based milk, unsweetened
- 3-5 handfuls of organic baby spinach
- 1 scoop of your choice of vegan protein powder - I use Vega Sport (vanilla or chocolate)
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 tsp of raw cacao (if using vanilla protein powder but I omit if using chocolate)
- 1 tsp of Reishi powder
- 1 tsp of maca powder
- ⅓ cup of crushed ice
- Optional toppings:
- ground flax seed/chia meal
- nut butter
- cacao nibs
- hemp hearts
- To build a easily blended smoothie, add your ingredients as listed. Blend on a smoothie setting or on high until blended completely.
- Pour into a big glass and top with optional toppings of your choice.
The better the quality of nut based milk, the better your smoothie will be. I just discovered this yesterday and used it in my smoothie. No crazy ingredients or preservatives.
You can buy bulk boxes of spinach at your grocery store. Already washed and ready to go.
Vega sport is my choice of protein. It’s creamy and smooth without a gritty texture.
Last week I talked about these add-ins. Reishi powder is know to help build a resistance to illness, calm the nerves in the body, and detox. It also helps reduce some aches and pains due to relaxing of the nerves. This product in particular is very potent. Maca is know for energy boosting properties. It gives anything a lovely caramel flavor to boot. Also promotes hormonal balance in the body. Raw cacao powder is packed with antioxidants that offer cellular defense against the effects of free radicals, improving the look of skin and promoting cellular repair and rejuvenation. It also serves as another protein source to the smoothie.
Everyone is in the pool!
If your blender has a smoothie setting, use that. If not, go full power for about 1 minutes to blend entirely. I use a Vitamix Ascent 3500.
Pour and top with your favorites and enjoy!
Happy hump day my friends!
This post is not sponsored by any of the companies I promoted however I do receive a nominal affiliate fee from the links I used in the post.
— Knead to Cook