It’s the end of June! Wow…. crazy to think the 4th of July is creeping up on the calendar in a mere few days.
So I took this past Sunday off as a rest day after running a 50 mile week. I slept in. It was lovely! After a marathon of swim meets, planning events, studying and taking my food handling certification, driving to New Jersey endless times and life, in general, being crazy – I needed it. When my husband got home from his ride he was craving something other than a smoothie. So I went to my go-to favorite breakfast that is reminiscent of a classic favorite but it’s vegan – and protein-packed. This recipe is so easy and a great go-to, post workout meal that refuels and restores. I hope you give this one a try.
- 1 can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- Olive oil
- ¼ Vidalia onion, minced
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Hot sauce
- In a saute pan, add a drizzle of olive oil over medium flame.
- Heat the oil and add your onions and spring onions to cook.
- In the meantime, rinse and drain your chickpeas.
- I then mash them in a bowl with clean hands or with a fork.
- Then add your spices to the chickpeas and a drizzle of olive oil to add some moisture (just a few drops are necessary).
- Once mixed well, add to your pan with the onions and heat thoroughly. I like cooking until golden brown.
- Serve atop of gluten free/vegan toast. I place a piece of kale first - the chickpea mixture then garnish with some fresh herbs and cherry tomatoes. I also love this with some hot sauce. Enjoy!
Sunday: Rest day
Monday: 14 outdoor miles
Tuesday: (End of June) 5:38 treadmill miles… see below & strength training.
After not sleeping last night… these 5 little miles were quite difficult but I really wanted to exceed 190 for the month. This is the highest month of running ever for me. What’s next… not sure. Just enjoying this right now… and I need a nap after a very sleepless evening.
Remember I’m teaming up with Vega for a giveaway and training plans. Click here to enter.
Also wanted to share a few other things. First:
And Momentum Jewelry released new color stretchy bands! Click here for 10% discount.
Okay that’s it from here. I’m off to start working in the kitchen and enjoy this “day off” rainy day. Sending you lots of joy and happiness today. oxo
— Knead to Cook